Before we spew out exercises to improve your core, we got to get a baseline.
Here is your core test!
Beginning Standard Movements
Hand Supported Plank– Goal 90s
- Locked out elbows
- Pits of elbows facing forward
- Round upper back… Think push the floor down with your hands.
- Stiff mid back, no sway.
- Hips tilted under
- Quads squeezing
Right Side Plank -Goal 90s (What we are looking for)
- Locked out elbow
- Shoulders stack on top of each other
- Straight line from shoulder, hips, to heels
Left Side Plank – Goal 90s (What we are looking for)
- Same as above
Supine Plank – Goal 90s (What we are looking for)
- Shoulders pulled back with an open chest
- Eyes gazing up towards ceiling
- Butt squeezing
- Straight life from shoulders, hips, to heels.
These goal numbers are good indicators if your core is strong enough to safely incorporate complex and heavy movements.